You people don’t know me else you’ll be clapping at this title. Let me put this in context, some of my Collegues at work have nicknamed me Snapchat. That’s how into social media I am. The annoying thing is that I am an content consumer not a creator on Facebook and Instagram. That will change soon.
I went on a social media fast for 3 weeks and it was one of the most difficult things i ever did. I honestly felt like a drug addict. I had withdrawal symptoms. I wrestled temptation and chewed my fingernails a lot.
Why did I Do it? Let me share my experience…
the first reason was to focus on studying for my exam. I wrote about how I study here. the other was I had a lot of projects I was working on but it just seemed like there was no time to complete them. But I had time for Snapchat o. lol, I knew I had a problem.
Important questions I had to ask:
- why am I on social media (to stalk people)
- How does it add to my life
- What do i gain off it
- How much time do I spend on it?
- what’s the ROI (needed to be a business person now)
- How much do I spend on it
- How much to I make off it
- Why do i need to document my life for people to see? what kind of approval do I need
- What am I missing out of when i an off it
- What do i contribute to it/What can I contribute to it
- whos posts make me feel bad
- what ae my goals and how do they tie in
i also had to list out the Quality things i have gained off social media: eg:
- slay Festival
- Steph obis Course
- social prefect tours
and the negative
- celebrity scandal
- bad news
Like i said, I had some crazy withdrawal symptoms I almost couldn’t believe it. To even add fire, it was during my church’s annual fasting event. Every time I felt hunger pangs, ill also feel the urge to just while away time online but I couldn’t.
- i was checking my mail like a crazy person. In the spam, social media and promotion folder. Etc. it was very funny.
- i was reading text messages again and again.
- Ill reinstall and delete Instagram like 2times in a day
The struggle was real!!!!
i think everyone should try this. You wont know how much you need it until you start it.
Some guidelines on how to go about it.
- make sure you have a purpose for fasting. It helps on the days you want to give up. Make sure its a worthy purpose.
- have a replacement activity. I usually check Instagram at night after dinner. I decided to use this time instead to read articles on medium or read a devotional.
- have an accountability partner. Just having someone to talk to could really help
What you can do on this journey: I didn’t do all but I recommend all.
– Take that course that will improve your career, its time to take the classes and read for it.
– Pick up a book.
– Replace the social media apps with educational apps (dualingo, coursera, skillshare)
– Listen to music or podcasts
– Just sit down and be looking around.
– Rewrite your cv. Research what you do.
– Call/ whatsapp people.
– Clean your house.
– Arrange your wardrobe.
– Midnight calls
– Take pictures on your phone but dont post just be admiring yourself.
– Plan your blog
– School handouts and flyers
– Rearrange the contact details on your phone
– Board games
– Interact with your parents/ landlord
– Gossip face to face
– Take public transport to a friends place
– Wash the toilet again
– Research skills for jobs you want without comparing with anyone
– Mentor a random child
– Eat more
– Work out.
– you are not being sold to. The joy.
– You are not being told what to do
– No bad news you dont care about.. you know all the good news already
So, What did i miss?
- I realized that life went on without me. The news at the end of the day wont change wether you see it or not. That’s a humbling reality.
- friends getting engaged.
- I couldn’t promote my blog as much as i wanted to.
- I got some recognition for my piggybank post and didn’t know for days. Until a friend whatsapped me.
What i was able to achieve
- i was able to read for an exam
- plan my life without the interference of others. You’ll be surprised how much other peoples plans influence yours
- save money on going out and going to events.
- i was happier: not a lot of bad news got to me.
- i discovered i was following some unnecessary people. People of the pepperthem gang. I no do. Unfollow.
Things i should have felt but didnt.
- i wasn’t really less stressed. FOMO stressed me out.
- i went for events but was still too shy to network. It’ll take more than a social media fast to cure that.
Needless to say, I’m glad I did it. I was able to use the time to do a lot of things. I also found out more about myself and was able to do complete more projects. I red a lot and I felt free at some point.
In conclusion, i think everyone should try this. You wont know how much you need it until you start it. ill need to go on another fast because i don’t think i totally achieved what i set out to achieve. I’ll probably do it for about 1 month this time. I’m taking baby steps.
I still haven’t decided how I’m going to manage my business but ill survive. I hope.